This article explains how employees can submit, edit or delete adjustment items in their salary like expenses or allowances.
In this article:
- Before you start
- Types of adjustments
- How to add an expense or allowance adjustment
- How to edit or delete an expense or allowance adjustment
- How to review expenses and claims
- Frequently Asked Questions
Before you start
- Please submit only one expense per expense claim.
- All expense and allowance adjustments must be reviewed and approved by your employer and then approved by Deel.
- Expenses must be supported by a receipt or invoice in order to meet local regulatory or legal requirements. Where applicable, additional local requirements and information can be found inside your Employee FAQ on the app.
- Deel may reclassify your expense or adjustment to meet local rules and regulations. Deel may also request additional supporting information from you.
- Adjustments approved before the payroll cut-off date will be processed in the current month's payroll. Any adjustment approved after the payroll cut-off date will be processed in the next month's payroll.
Types of adjustments
Expenses are reimbursable costs incurred by you for legitimate business purposes in the course of your employment. Business expenses are usually not taxable but may be subject to certain limitations in some jurisdictions.
Allowances are one-time or recurring fixed amounts paid by the company as a benefit to you. Allowances are usually taxable. In some jurisdictions, certain allowance categories may not be taxable, subject to certain limitations.
How to add an adjustment
✅ Step 1 – Select Expenses & Allowances
The Expenses & Allowances menu is on your home page in the Quick Access section.
Or, you can click on your contract to open up your Contract Overview page.
✅ Step 2 – Click Add Expense
The Payments Items section will appear on your home page.
✅ Step 3 – Fill in the required information
You must add the type of adjustment, amount, and item description.
You must attach a supporting invoice or receipt for any expense.
✅ Step 4 – Click on Submit Expense
Your adjustment is added and is filed as Pending while awaiting approval from your employer.
How to edit or delete an adjustment
Once you add an adjustment, you can edit or delete it as long as it’s awaiting approval from your employer.
✅ Step 1 - Open your contract
✅ Step 2 - Select the pending adjustment that you want to edit or delete
Click the blue Edit Expense button at the top right to edit an expense. Click Yes to confirm.
If you wish to delete an adjustment you can click the red Delete button at the bottom. Click Yes to confirm
How to review your Expenses and Claims
You can see requests made in past and upcoming cycles in one place.
✅ Step 1 - Select Expenses and Claims Overview from Contracts tab
✅ Step 2 – Use filters to review expenses
Filter the view to a specific adjustment type, submitted date, approval status and payroll cycle etc.
Frequently Asked Questions
[ACCORDION]When will my expense or allowance adjustment be paid?
Adjustments approved before the payroll cut-off date will be processed in the current month's payroll. Any adjustment approved after the payroll cut-off date will be processed in the next month's payroll.
[ACCORDION]What do I do if my expenses or allowance hasn't been approved yet?
Deel will send reminders to your approver about outstanding adjustments. You may also contact your employer at your own discretion to request approval.
[ACCORDION]I made a mistake in my adjustment can I fix it?
Yes, if your adjustment has not been approved then you can edit it or delete it and submit a new one if required. However, if your adjustment has already been approved, please contact customer support for assistance.
[ACCORDION]What if my expenses were rejected?
You can check the reason for rejection on your Expenses Overview, fix any error that might have occurred and try again.