This article explains how clients can submit an amendment request to amend the Scope of Work or the Employment Agreement for an EOR employee.
Amendments allow you to legally adjust certain employment-related details like job title, salary, scope, and more.
You can also request a custom amendment that will be reviewed and drafted by our internal group.
Amendments are only required for modifying signed agreements. You don’t need an amendment to edit an agreement if a Scope Of Work has not been signed.
In this article:
How to submit an amendment request
✅ Step 1 – Open an EOR employee contract
Select the (1) People tab on the home page and (2) click on an employee's name
✅ Step 2 – Locate the Request Amendment section
Select the Contracts/Agreements section on the employee's overview page, then click Request Amendment.
✅ Step 3 – Click Request Amendment
After you submit your amendment request, our EOR group will review the request and send amendment documents for signature if needed.
Changes that require an employee signature will auto-generate the Scope of Work amendment, but will still need the employee’s signature for an amendment to the Employee Agreement.
Legal amendments need to be reviewed by our internal group.
Once all parties have signed, Deel will countersign, and the changes can go into effect immediately, or on your scheduled future date.
Please note that certain amendments may result in an additional deposit.
✅ Step 4 – Click Edit on sections where you want to make changes
You can make as many changes to an agreement as you want within a single amendment request.
These changes can be across different contract detail sections.
Click Update after making changes in each section.
You cannot submit additional amendment requests while an active request is still under review. Please include all your known amendment requests at one time.
Choose the effective date that you want the amendments to be active:
- As soon as possible - amendments become active after you, your employee, and Deel signs it
Future specified date - select a future date, but please follow these guidelines:
- Allow 5 business days for processing
- A salary amendment can apply to the current payroll cycle (for monthly payroll) only if the cut-off date hasn't passed by the time your request is processed.
✅ Step 5 – Click Send Amendment Request
You can review the status of the request in employee’s contract overview page
Items that can be amended in an EOR agreement:
✅ Moving start date to later date
We can push back the start date of a contract to delay the employee’s first day. We can not backdate start dates to a signed contract.
- For example, we cannot amend the start date from June 15 to June 3
- If you need to backdate an employee’s start date, an alternative can be adding an adjustment or a bonus for the employee’s upcoming pay
✅ Employee nationality
- This amendment request must be reviewed by Deel and will also require that the employee upload a new Proof Of Work document allowing them to work in the employment country.
✅ Job title
For compliance reasons, we are unable to accept C-level or Founder job titles
- C-level and founder titles may be changed to “Head Of” or “Director” to permit EOR contract services
✅ Seniority level
✅ Contract term
✅ Time off
Items that can't be amended in an EOR agreement:
❌ Type of hire: Demotion from Manager > Employee
- You can not demote from Manager to Employee if the Employment Agreement has been signed by the employee, but it is possible to demote if the EA hasn’t been signed.
❌ Standard working schedule:
We can not force full-time employees to work hours in a different time zone than their employment country.
- For example, US employees can not work a standard working day based on Australian hours.
❌ Decrease in salary or holiday days below the statutory minimum
- The employee must have the minimum number of holiday days and salary, as per their employment country’s national law.
- National bank and public holidays in the employment country have to be observed, but not public holidays in the client’s country.
❌ Create an ‘unlimited PTO' policy
- You can leave the time-off as standard in the contract and make a direct arrangement with your employee, if you wish. However, due to compliance reasons, we need a definitive set number of PTO days on the employee’s agreement.
❌ End date
- We can't change the contract termination terms from an indefinite period to a definite period if employee has already signed their agreement
❌ Employee full legal name
- Minor typos and edits may be processed as an on-platform amendment, pending the Deel EOR group review
❌ Mentioning Deel or Client Details in Scope of Work
- The Scope of Work must be generic to the role
[ACCORDION] Do I need to pay an additional deposit to make contract changes?
Possibly, depending on the type of amendment you are requesting.
Changes that will increase an employee’s severance payout in the event of a termination may result in an additional deposit.
Such changes include removing probation, increasing vacation days, or increasing salary.
For each EOR agreement, Deel will collect a maximum amount of two months’ deposit over the contract lifecycle, inclusive of the initial deposit when the contract was created.
We may charge the difference if there is a gap between this two-month deposit maximum and the additional amount needed for the amendment.
[ACCORDION] Why has my amendment been rejected?
Deel ensures that all requested amendments are fully compliant. If your amendment has been rejected, this may be because it is not possible because it is not legally compliant.
To discuss this further, reach out to your Deel point of contact.
[ACCORDION] Will I know why an amendment request was rejected by Deel?
Yes. If we reject an amendment, we will send you an email clearly explaining the reason for the rejection.
[ACCORDION] Can I request a custom amendment?
Yes, you can request a custom amendment on the Deel platform that will be reviewed and drafted by our internal group.
We will draft and send any applicable amendment documents for signature, if needed.
To request a custom amendment, click Request Amendment on an employee's contract then click Add Custom Amendments.
Click Send Amendment Request to send the request to Deel for review.
[ACCORDION] What if an amendment affects payroll?
If you request an amendment after the cut-off date that affects payroll or invoices (like a salary increase) it is reflected beginning with the following pay cycle.
Please note that Deel does not support pro-rata salary increases.
[ACCORDION] I can't see an amendment for the contract details I'd like to change. What should I do?
If you can't see where you can make the change yourself, please contact us or reach out to your Deel point of contact.